Insurance Roofing 101

Q: What will insurance pay for in a roof claim?

A: Insurance will pay to replace underlayment (felt), shingles, and flashing in whole or part, or a repair for Hail and/or wind damage. In addition, any interior collateral damage caused by the ensuing leaks. It does not pay for any rotten decking.

Q: How fast do I have to file a claim and get the work done?

A: With most insurance companies you have up to 1 year after the date of loss, storm date, to file a claim and another year to get the work completed.  One insurance company allows 6 months and 6 months respectively.

Q: How do I know when the damage occurred?

A: Lakeside has a list all documented storms in the area to help with this.

Q: Will my insurance go up if I file a roof claim?

A: We cannot guarantee your insurance rates will not go up, even if you don’t file a claim. Generally, if other homeowners are filing claims, especially for hail and wind, your rates will go up because in your area, collectively there are more claims. What we can say is in the 6+ years we have been in business, and the 1200+ insurance replacements we’ve installed, we have never had a customer complain about it.

Q: Can my insurance cancel my policy if I file hail/wind claim?

A: There is legislation in place, SECTION 38-75-790, that prevents insurance companies from canceling, non-renewing, your policy for act of God claims, which include hail and wind, just like tornados and hurricanes. If you have no other claims recently they cannot cancel just for an act of God claim. If you have other claims, you may want to talk to your agent to make sure of the ramifications.

Q: What will it cost me above what insurance says it should cost?

A: Lakeside’s commitment to its customers is 99% of the time we replace it for what insurance says it should cost to replace. All the homeowner is responsible for is their deductible and any voluntary upgrades. That way you know what your cost is going into it.

Q: Does insurance money go straight to Lakeside?

A: No. Unlike a car repair, insurance payments always come to the homeowner. They will typically come in 2 payments. The first check is the actual cash value, ACV. This is basically the depreciated value of damages, less your deductible. Once the repair is completed, Lakeside’s production manager will send in a certificate of completion, COC, to the insurance company and they will then release 2nd check, or the depreciation value of the damages.  This way the homeowner can retain funds until they are completely satisfied with the work.

Insurance Roofing 101 – SECTION 38-75-790 – South Carolina Code of Laws